A literary soirée at Dr Johnson's House - TopLots

Dr Johnson's House
http://www.drjohnsonshouse.org
General Collections - Bespoke experience - Evening
Description

Indulge yourself with an exclusive candlelit evening visit to this beautiful 18th-century townhouse in the heart of the City of London. You and your guests will be taken on an intimate tour with a curator where you can explore four floors of Johnson’s only surviving London house. We will be opening the library doors, allowing you a unique opportunity to see a first edition of the Dictionary, Johnson’s letters and much more. Following our last stop in the Garret, where Johnson compiled his Dictionary of the English Language, champagne and smoked salmon will be served in the elegant Withdrawing Room where you will have the chance to relax and talk with your guests in convivial surroundings.

This is one of two similar lots.


Terms & Conditions

The participant(s) must be aged over 18.

Please note, the house has many unavoidable steps.

The winner is responsible for the cost of travel to and from Dr Johnson’s House.

The lot will be taken by the end of December 2008 on a day and at a time to be arranged between the winner and Dr Johnson’s House.

This lot cannot be publicly resold without the permission of TopLots but can be offered as a gift.

The TopLots Heritage Auction is a fundraising event organised by the Association of Independent Museums (Registered Charity: 1082215) acting as the agent for arts and heritage organisations across the UK. Delivery of this lot, as described, to the winner is the responsibility of Dr Johnson’s House which will receive (after direct transaction and listing costs) 80% of the winning bid. The remaining 20% is retained by the Association of Independent Museums (AIM) to cover the administrative costs of running the TopLots auction.


Additional Information

Dr Johnson's House was where the 'great charm of literature' lived and worked during the mid-18th-century. Johnson lived in Gough Square whilst he compiled his Dictionary of the English Language, published in 1755. Fully restored, with a host of original features ranging from the door handles to the intriguing moving panels in the Withdrawing Room, Dr Johnson’s House is both a stunning example of an early 18th-cenutry townhouse as well as a shrine to the English Language. The House contains period furniture, prints and paintings illustrating Dr Johnson and his circle, a well-stocked library and items and ephemera relating to Dr Johnson.

A literary soirée at Dr Johnson's House - TopLots
The Withdrawing Room
Sold for £0
No Bids
AUCTION ENDED